Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Jewelry Boxes part 1

Last summer I found a lot of jewelry boxes at garage sales.  Some were too much for resale, but others were as low as $1.  I thought it might be fun to revamp them into something a little more interesting.  This is a picture of some of the ones I picked up this summer, and at the estate sale I helped out with last month.  Audrey seems to think they were O.K. just as they were (she's pretty, but not to savvy about jewelry boxes).
This is a close up of the before, well at least of the little one.  I forgot to take a before picture of the bigger one.  They were both in pretty rough shape.  The little one was scratched up and had nail polish on the medallion.  The other one was just old and boring. Well I had a can of oops paint in this great shade of blue (somewhere between aqua and turquoise), and I knew I didn't want to spend a ton of time on these, so I mixed up some baking soda, water and paint and had a go at it.  First I removed all of the hardware.  I thought the medallion was glued on the little one, and I told my husband that I was trying to figure out how to tape it off, when it just came off in my hand.  Bonus!  I used the Dremel and polished off all of the nail polish and shined up the feet.  I was really surprised how nice they turned out.  I painted them both with my homemade chalk paint, distressed them a little and then waxed with clear wax. 



 I wanted to bling them up a little more so I covered the glass of the larger one in a gorgeous organza that I found at a thrift store for practically nothing, and decoupaged some old sheet music inside the the other one.

These are the first of four that I've got done so far.  I'll show you the rest later.  So what do you think?

Partying at:

No comments:

Post a Comment