This sled is the first one done. I found it at a yard sale in September, along with a chair that I revamped and sold with my Wild Child Tamed desk. I spent $12 for the two. I immediately knew what I would do with it, so then it was just a matter of finding a couple more things at garage sales and putting it all together.
First I painted the sled with my leftover, leftover paint that was originally for our outdoor furniture this summer, then watered down for a wash on my planter chair. Amazing how far paint can go! I had found a wreath at a garage sale for $.50 that I figured would work, and a bow at another. We have pine cones galore at our house, so I picked up three bags of them (yes my husband thinks I'm nuts) and experimented with de-gooing them. First I tried soaking them in vinegar water for awhile, it worked but they smelled horrid. Then I baked them on a foil lined sheet in a low oven for a half hour or so, this worked but was a little dangerous since the sap is so volatile. Then my husband came up with a great idea to do them on the barbeque. He just put one burner on low and put the cones on the other side with the burners off. So I took a couple of the big pine cones and attached them to the wreath (it already had the small cones on it - Bonus!), added the bow and tied it up to the sled with a twist tie. I needed rope for the sled but all I had was some twine, so hubby took 3 strands, clamped them in the vise, hooked the other end to a drill and made some rope. He is so smart. Here is my sled, hanging on our trapper shed. I wish it could stay there, but it is already at the store for sale. I hope someone will enjoy it.
beyond the picket fence