Friday, November 2, 2012

Christmas Sled

 I don't know if you are like me, I love thinking about Christmas in the summer, but once it is really time to start getting ready for it I start to feel pressured.  I have a lot of little projects either in the works, or in my head to do for my space at Paris Flea Market.  So I figured I better get moving if I am going to get them in to sell.
This sled is the first one done.  I found it at a yard sale in September, along with a chair that I revamped and sold with my Wild Child Tamed desk.  I spent $12 for the two.  I immediately knew what I would do with it, so then it was just a matter of finding a couple more things at garage sales and putting it all together.
    First I painted the sled with my leftover, leftover paint that was originally for our outdoor furniture this summer, then watered down for a wash on my planter chair.  Amazing how far paint can go!  I had found a wreath at a garage sale for $.50 that I figured would work, and a bow at another.  We have pine cones galore at our house, so I picked up three bags of them (yes my husband thinks I'm nuts) and experimented with de-gooing  them.  First I tried soaking them in vinegar water for awhile, it worked but they smelled horrid.  Then I baked them on a foil lined sheet in a low oven for a half hour or so, this worked but was a little dangerous since the sap is so volatile.  Then my husband came up with a great idea to do them on the barbeque.  He just put one burner on low and put the cones on the other side with the burners off.  So I took a couple of the big pine cones and attached them to the wreath (it already had the small cones on it - Bonus!), added the bow and tied it up to the sled with a twist tie.  I needed rope for the sled but all I had was some twine, so hubby took 3 strands, clamped them in the vise, hooked the other end to a drill and made some rope.  He is so smart.  Here is my sled, hanging on our trapper shed.  I wish it could stay there, but it is already at the store for sale.  I hope someone will enjoy it.


Partying with:
beyond the picket fence

4 comments:

  1. I am always excited for Christmas early too...and then the pressure hits and I freeze...haha I wish I had a sled like this one..I did years ago but have lost track of it. Too many moves..Cheers Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great piece and perfect for Christmas or winter decor. Someone is sure going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its good to plan for Christmas before hand, your sled looks amazing, excited and waiting for Christmas party, hope that your preparations will be worthy.
    Love your idea!!!
    hammock

    ReplyDelete

  4. I would like to invite you to join me at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week! http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-10.html

    I hope you can make it!
    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete