Thursday, June 28, 2012

Wild Child Desk

I've finished another project and am taking it to Old Paris today.  Jeff is opening another store (actually in the original building that he took back the lease on) next week, so I want to get this in for the opening.  I found this desk one day on my way home from lunch with my mom and sister.  I really wasn't looking to buy anything, but sometimes you just can't pass up a piece that talks to you.  In fact when I asked the lady how much she wanted for it I was hoping it would be out of my price range.  I think my husband is getting a little frustrated with furniture all over the shop, you see he has the neatest, cleanest shop of any guy I know.


I wish I had a before picture of the desk, it was in pretty bad shape.  It's all veneered and a lot of it on the body was peeling or chipped off completely.  The top and drawers were pretty good though and I had an idea for a piece, either a desk or dresser that I wanted to paint green with some wood tones left intact.  This is where I think some of my '70s wild child comes out.  As cheap as this desk was, and I mean cheap, and as little supplies I have into it, I really am going to loose on it.  I can't even tell you how many hours I have into it.  First I glued down the veneer where it was coming up, then my husband puttied up where it was chipped.  Then I stripped the top and drawers and stained them with some Minwax red mahogany that we had left over from something.  I taped up the top, flipped it over and rolled it with my free paint from the Ace Hardware Clark & Kensington paint giveaway.  I chose spring green, they were only giving away flat but that was fine since I would spray a finish on it anyway.  After it dried I glazed it using a really dry brush with some of the red mahogany stain.  I sprayed on a satin poly, put the handles back on that my husband had polished, and then for good measure wiped down the top, drawer fronts and inside with Howard's wax.  So have I completely lost it, or does it make you smile a little like it does for me?  Oh, here is wider angle if you were wondering what the heck is in the background.  My husband drew this elk on the shop garage door with a pencil one long, long winter.

1 comment:

  1. Someone is going to really love this cute desk. Wait and see.

    ReplyDelete