Friday, January 16, 2015

Re-vamped Stereo Bar

Boy it's been a long time since I posted anything!  I guess with the holidays, and all of the pieces I've been working on, blogging just got left behind.  I found this stereo last summer at an estate sale.  Now I know that some people like to hit up sales the very first thing on the first day to get the best stuff.  I'm more of of the type that gets there later in the afternoon of the last day to get the best bargains.  This stereo was one of those late in the game purchases and only cost me $15.  I knew right away that it would be a great bar, and a good puzzle for my husband to work on this winter.  



I didn't get any before pictures, but it was a 1949 Wards Airline radio/record player.  The turntable was in the drawer in the upper left with the speaker below.  The radio was in the top right door, with space for the records below.  I wish I could take more credit for this, but like I said it was a good puzzle for my husband.  I thought that he would be able to take the false front off of where the speaker was and turn it into a regular door, but after a lot of pounding and a few choice words we realized that wasn't happening.  Instead he took the mesh and fabric insert and reincorporated them as a back for that section.  I had a wine rack that he cut down and built in, and he also put a bottom in the drawer where the turntable was and made it all fit.  I think the coolest thing he did was to reincorporate the stereo dial with the Bakelite surround as a back for the other top section. 





After he was done I stripped, sanded and refinished it in English Chestnut by Minwax.  It was really red to start with and this color seemed to tone it down a bit.


I like the idea of saving these old stereos and turning them into interesting cabinets, this is our second one.  You can see the other at Where did Burl Go

1 comment:

  1. This looks great! Your husband did a great job and I love how you kept the old dial! The wood is in wonderful condition too! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete