Sunday, March 24, 2013

King Me

 I guess I could have called this post "Checkmate" instead of "King Me", but I never really learned chess, checkers was more my game.  I found this little table last year at a garage sale for $2.00.  I mean who can pass that up!  It had one broken leg, but nothing my hubby couldn't fix.  It was also missing the inserted top piece, someone had thrown a peel and stick vinyl square in there, thank goodness not stuck yet.  Originally I wanted to paint this yellow and transfer The Graphic Fairy French Bee in the center.  I still think that would have been cute, but I decided to go natural instead. 
I didn't mean for this to be my husbands project, but that is how it pretty much turned out.  First like I said he re-glued the broken leg, then he cut out the top from some veneered plywood.  Then I had the bright idea of a stained checkerboard top.  How hard could that be right?   First we stained the veneer with honey oak, the he taped it and stained it with ebony.  Not too bad, a few runs under the tape but not bad.  Then he went to put on some wipe on poly, and it wiped off the dark stain ):  So next he used a ruler and pencil and marked all of the squares, and with a brush, hand stained each square.  It sat for a week, but when he went to poly it again, most of the stain came off again!  I thought it made it look old and rustic so we left it.  Plus this is for resale and I am selling it really cheap, so I didn't want to put anymore time into it.  Next I got the easy part.  I just used Howard's Restore a Finish in red mahogany, and then waxed it.  It's not my best piece, but maybe someone will have fun playing checkers, or maybe even learn chess on it.

Linking Up At:

2 comments:

  1. It is cute, but you put that French bee in my head and I am envisioning it cream! BUT take profit when you can. I like the rustic look of the game board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out so cute. I like the rustic look and the fact you turned it into a game table. Thanks for sharing on Transformed Tuesday.

    Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

    ReplyDelete